Thursday, December 9, 2010

DEER MEAT

One of the young men in our youth group shot a deer in the beginning of deer season a few weeks ago. This is very exciting for him and his family. Last year he got a really good size doe and the boys and I went to watch him and his brother and best friend prepare the meat. One cut the meat from the hanging deer, the other was drying the skin while the other was dicing the meat up. To say the least, I was totally disguised and spent most the time stirring at the floor. But the boys loved it and still talk about that day. This year, the young man shared some of his meat with us....super nice and I'm sooo thankful for his kindness.
I'm cooking a venison strew for tonight and I can't get over how badly venison smells. It's not like any other meat I have ever smelled! It makes me thankful we are not dependant on hunting and cleaning out our food...or this family may starve!
Just wanted to share. I hope the stew tastes good???

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ummm I hope your stew tastes good too! You are a better woman than I, your boys are lucky to have you! I think I would have run for the car! :-P lol