
Super Foods
This is a book we use almost daily. the boys love for me to read about what makes the food they are eating a "Super Food". We realize we didn't eat a good variety of fruits and veggies and this book has helped with spicing things up. It has facts as well a little history about the food. Then the book also has recipe section and a health section that helps figure out what food you should be eating or not eating for different medical problems. ( skin care to cancer!) All that to say, papaya is a super food. It contain twice the vitamin C and 1/3 vitamin A you need daily. It also helps with digestion.
We've tried to like papaya. But the nutty flavor turns the kids off to it. But we've worked through that and taught them to eat it plain, but it's hard. I can't say i like the taste that much either. this morning i thought i would make a smoothie with it. The recipe was in the book. Half a papaya, one small yogurt container, a cup of milk. simple enough, right? It tastes so gross!!!! I even added sugar....so now we have a blender full of papaya smoothie that we have to drink. And it all makes me smile as I'm trying to have my family eat healthy but we're choking down the stuff! we decide we're going to wait until daddy comes home so he can help us drink it tonight!
(the book is on amazon.com by Michael van Straten & Barb Griggs. DK puts it out.)
2 comments:
This blog makes me laugh!! So funny! Looks like a really good book though, I try to stick "superfoods" into other things also. I keep a bag of chopped spinach in the freezer because it's so easy to just add a bit to spaghetti sauce, eggs or whatever! I have never tried straight papaya but I love juices with papaya... Jessica Seinfeld has a really good cookbook on ways to incorporate veggies and healthy foods into other "normal" foods. I forget the name but I'm sure you can search by author, I may buy it, it's got some really cool recipes!
lol - you are too much!! I have to say, the first papaya i had was out of a can and i REALLY REALLY liked it!! Then I tried buying a fresh one and it tasted almost 'musty' eewww . . . no good - so I just thought I bought a bad one and asked the produce guy how to pick them - still not good. So now I am left wondering if it is really just mysteriously good in a can - or if I just don't know how to pick a good one. Suggestion - try the canned - it probably takes it from "super good" to "pretty ok for you" , but man, it tastes super good!!
Post a Comment